Advertising and Marketing Opportunities with Odyssey Media Group

M.I.C.E. Venues

 November 01, 2001
Work To Start On $260m Perth Convention & Exhibition Centre

 Work is expected to start this month on the $260 million Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre. The centre developer Multiplex Constructions is understood to have obtained all the necessary planning and approval conditions to enable work to begin. The existing car park on the site will be officially closed to commuters on November 5.

The centre - boasting a 2,500 seat plenary hall, an 1,800 seat ballroom, 17 breakout meeting rooms and 17,000 square metres of exhibition space - is due to open its doors for business in January 2004. And the Perth Convention Bureau has already secured convention business for the centre worth an estimated $42 million in economic impact, according to its Managing Director Anne-Maree Ferguson. She said the Bureau currently holds tentative bookings for nine conventions, which collectively represent an estimated 13,600 delegates and 75,000 hotel room nights. "We have a considerable amount of business under development out to 2008 - another 20 conferences - which would attract 31,600 delegates and generate $144 million in economic impact," Ms Ferguson said.

The 12-month delay in starting the centre had resulted in two conventions with bookings in 2003 finding alternative venues and another two deferring their meetings to 2004. "Fortunately, the delay has not resulted in us losing any previously secured business at this stage," she added.