|November 27, 2012|
Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre Soars High In 2012 - 13 Bids Won and More Awards
|The seven-year old Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre (the Centre) continues to record healthy growth with all business segments exceeding their targets despite global economic conditions that have overshadowed much of 2012, in particular in Europe and the USA. From 1 January to 31 October 2012, the Centre hosted 1,258 events, a 15% increase from the 1,097 held in the previous corresponding period, and served 1.37 million delegates and visitors. |
Among the more notable events were:
- the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 81st Annual Scientific Congress in May which saw 1,250 delegates come together over five days making this the largest multi-disciplinary surgical meeting;
- 25th World Gas Conference 2012 in June where over 8,000 delegates filled the Centre's entire 22,659 sqm of function space, including a new 2,600 sqm marquee known as Hall 6; and
- 3,000 lung experts converged at the Centre just two weeks ago for the 43rd Union World Conference on Lung Health for knowledge exchange on the latest know-how in local and regional health sectors, particularly in respiratory health. The five-day conference generated an estimated USD14.1 million (€11.1 billion) in economic impact.
On the marketing front, the Centre's website was given a major make-over driven by the advancements in design technology and the need to "think forward and push boundaries". The results were equally rewarding. A visually-stimulating, content rich and user-friendly site offering key information on the Centre, its range of products and services as well as an in-depth take on the destination took the industry by storm in August. A mobile website launched recently further expands the reach to smart phone users so www.klccconventioncentre.com can be accessed anytime, anywhere. This was on top of the Wi-Fi upgrade of 40MB that is offered on a complimentary basis to guests so they remain 'connected' even during meetings!
And the Centre was the proud recipient of several more awards with the MICE Report Awards 2012 for 'Best Convention Centre in Asia', 'Gold' in Meetings Industry Marketing Awards (MIMA) 2012 for 'Best Print Advertising Campaign' for her Batik Sarong Tie-Up Campaign and the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Malaysia Chapter's inaugural 'Dato Lau Foo Sun Excellence in Dining Award' for excellence in culinary experience. The Batik Sarong Tie-up Campaign also made the finalists' list in the International Congress and Convention Association's (ICCA) 'Best Marketing Award 2012'.
The Centre took pride for winning the following bids this year:
- Asia Insurance & Technology Summit 2013 (700 delegates);
- Women Deliver Conference 2013 (5,000 delegates);
- IAS Conference on HIV, Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention 2013 (7,000 delegates);
- Toastmasters International 82nd Annual International Convention 2014 (3,000 delegates);
- World Islamic Economic Conference 2014 (1,000 delegates);
- 12th International Congress on Obesity 2014 (2,200 delegates);
- 14th Western Pacific Congress on Chemotherapy and Infectious Diseases 2014 (3,000 delegates); and
- 18th Human Genome Meeting 2015 (1,000 delegates).
Speaking on the sidelines of EIBTM 2012, Director of Sales & Marketing, Ms. Angeline Lue said that while the Centre is delighted with its performance to date, "We remain flexible and innovative in order to continue delivering value-add and world-class products and services to meet the evolving needs of our local, regional and international clientele. Moving forward, there will be exciting plans to share with everyone. So, expect to hear more from us very soon."
Since opening in June 2005, the Centre has been the venue of choice for 6,461 events with over 13.4 million delegates and visitors. This in turn, has contributed approximately RM4.1 billion (€1.05 billion) in economic impact to Kuala Lumpur city and Malaysia.
Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre
The Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre (the Centre) is a component of the Kuala Lumpur City Centre (KLCC) and is managed and operated by Convex Malaysia Sdn Bhd, a joint-venture company between KLCC (Holdings) Sdn Bhd and AEG Ogden Pty Ltd, Australia.
A winner of numerous awards including the Meeting Industry Marketing Awards (MIMA) 2012 for 'Best Print Advertising Campaign (Gold)'; the MICE Report Awards 2012 for 'Best Convention Centre in Asia'; Business Destinations Travel Awards 2011 for 'Best Congress & Convention Centre, Asia'; TTG Travel Awards 2011 for 'Best Convention & Exhibition Centre'; Meeting Industry Marketing Awards (MIMA) 2011 for 'Best Use of Budget (Bronze)'; CEI Industry Award 2009; and Travel Weekly (Asia) Industry Awards 2007 and 2008 for 'Best Convention & Exhibition Centre in Asia'; the Centre is a wholly-owned facility of Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre Sdn Bhd which in turn, is owned by KLCC (Holdings) Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS).
The Centre has ISO 9001, ISO 22000, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certifications, EarthCheck Bronze status (environment) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points Certification (HACCP) recognition, the international food safety system for international convention facilities and five-star hotels. It is also the first in Asia; and one of only 12 AIPC centres worldwide, to receive the 'Gold' AIPC Quality Standards certification.
Comprising two auditoria (seating 3,000 and 500 respectively), 12,310 sqm of Exhibition Halls including a 2,600 sqm standalone marquee, a Grand Ballroom which seats 2,000 diners, a Banquet Hall for 500, a Conference Hall for 1,800 and 20 other meeting rooms, the Centre provides 22,659 sqm of function space in the heart of Kuala Lumpur.