Tech - Computers
|October 28, 2002|
Palm Introduces Ultra-Thin Keyboard For Palm Branded Handhelds
|To accompany the Tungsten line of powerful handhelds introduced October 28, Palm, Inc. has announced the Palm Ultra-Thin Keyboard, with a compact, lightweight design that fits easily into a pocket, briefcase or purse. Palm also introduced a series of sleek new cases for Palm Tungsten handhelds.|
Designed and manufactured by Think Outside, the Palm Ultra-Thin Keyboard is one of smallest touch typeable foldable keyboards available. The new keyboard features a sleek aluminum design that is 30 percent lighter and half the thickness of the previous Palm Portable Keyboard. The compact case unfolds to a standard QWERTY keyboard, with 18mm key spacing and 3mm key travel, so users can enjoy the expansive feel of a standard keyboard with a far smaller footprint. In addition, the Palm Ultra-Thin Keyboard is rigid enough when open to use on a lap or other uneven surface, maintaining the familiar feel of a desktop without limiting usage to a desktop.
"For people on the go, this is truly a 'grab and go' solution. With the Palm Ultra-Thin Keyboard and a Palm handheld, there's little need to carry a laptop," said Alan Urban, director of accessories and peripherals, Palm Solutions Group. "The Palm Ultra-Thin Keyboard fits easily into a jacket pocket or purse - an ideal accessory for the mobile professional who needs to reduce the weight and bulk of on-the-road communications devices. The keyboard and Palm handheld together are perfect for typing email messages and composing documents, such as taking notes at a meeting or in a classroom."
"In designing the new Ultra-Thin Keyboard, we addressed our customers' two most pressing requests: make it smaller without sacrificing touch typeability or quality and allow it to be used on the lap," said Bob Olodort, Think Outside's chief executive officer and the designer of the new keyboard. "We expect that with Palm's new Tungsten line of handhelds and the new Ultra-Thin Keyboard, even more people will be able to enjoy the benefits of on-the-go touch typeability without lugging a laptop."
The Palm Ultra-Thin Keyboard is $99 (estimated U.S. street price) and scheduled to be available in limited quantities beginning in late November in the United States. Volume worldwide availability is expected in early 2003.
Smart Additional Accessories for Palm Tungsten Handhelds
A variety of carrying cases for Palm Tungsten handhelds are available, offering greater protection in a stylish package.
Palm Tungsten T handheld cases:
- The Palm Tungsten T Hard Case, Palm's top-of-the-line case, offers integration of form and function. The sleek metal case is designed to give easy access to all of the handheld's functions and provide extra storage for expansion cards. Estimated U.S. street price: $39.95
- The Palm Tungsten T Slim Leather Case is a compact classic made from soft, full-grained leather and features handy storage for credit and expansion cards. Estimated U.S. street price: $29.95
- The Palm Tungsten T Sleeve Case is Palm's smallest case, and wraps neatly around the handheld. It has a soft, scuba-finished surface and a hidden metal frame to help protect the screen. The Sleeve Case enables easy access to the voice record button, Palm Expansion Slot, beaming and stylus. Estimated U.S. street price: $29.95
Palm Tungsten W handheld cases:
- The Palm Tungsten W Leather Belt Clip Case attaches to most belt loops and holds the handheld in an envelope of padded protection. Estimated U.S. street price: $29.95
- The Palm Tungsten W Slim Leather Case is a compact, classic case style with storage for expansion cards, credit cards and more. Estimated U.S. street price: $34.95
Handheld users also can buy Palm Tungsten stylus replacements, as well as Palm HotSync Cables and Travel Charging solutions for customers on the go.